Tuesday,
"Fa kntay b ay madrisa?" Faisal asked me as he took a sip of water.
"**S, oo inta b ay madrisa?" I asked him.
"Ana 7ikouma," he said, while mentioning his high school name which I had no idea that existed.
"Oh," I just said as I sipped on my orange juice.
"La7'6a 3ayal et3arfeen Abdullah Al-K? Madri itha b duf3itich aw laa," he asked me. I knew Abdullah I just wasn't sure if I should answer with a yes or a no, maybe it was a test.
"Ee kan ma3ay eb katha class," I replied.
"Oo Jana Al-R?" he asked me. Why did he want to know?
"Jana? Ee imbala bas ma kanat ma3ay b wayid classes," I told him and he nodded.
"Abdullah rifeej ukhouy ili a9'3ar mini, oo Jana bnt khalti," he said. I replied with an "Oh", madri shagoul ba3ad.
He changed the subject to travel and where my favorite places were. I wanted to reply Paris but I shut up and said London instead even though I hated it, and he actually agreed.
After much talk, some silence, and talking again it was time for him to leave.
"Yallah 3ayal Omniyah asta2thin," he said with a smile. I smiled back and stood up to say goodbye to him and khalti Salwa, who was in seventh heaven right now.
"La7'6a bas itha mumkin raqmich?" he asked me before he left. I gulped and gave him my phone number, the last time I'd given a guy my number was four years ago...how time had flown.
I took his phone number and saved it as Faisal, since he was literally the only Faisal I knew.
We said our goodbyes and my mom kept asking me about him again, but I told her I had to know him more to finally approve.
"Khaltich Salwa galatli inna uhwa wayid mirta7lich oo dasha galba," she told me.
I didn't know whether to be happy or nervous. I didn't want to disappoint anyone, even if I was still okay with him, I had nothing against him and I enjoyed talking to him.
I went upstairs and changed from my dress into my comfy pants and shirt to continue studying. I had a course and a half left and I couldn't afford to screw it up even if my classes were not that hard, but even so I didn't want to take anything lightly.
I got a text message from Faisal telling me to call him whenever I was free, and I replied with "inshallah" in Arabic.
I finished studying maybe an hour later and called him.
"Hala wallah," he said, and I could tell he was happy. I felt guilty, was I supposed to feel this happy with someone so soon? I remembered Zaid and me in Paris, and it was kind of too soon, but maybe we were more compatible than me and Faisal, or were comparable, or maybe we were young. I didn't know. Or maybe I just needed to give Faisal and myself a break and actually put some effort in this relationship.
"Hala feek," I replied.
"Ha kntay tadriseen?" he asked me.
"Ee wallah tawni akhal9," I replied.
"Ee 3afya 3alaich. Al7een mar Starbucks ilsheraton, tabeen shay?" he asked me.
I smiled. "La mashkour matga9ir," I said.
"Afa, wala shay? Latrideeni Omniyah," he said, teasing.
I chuckled. "Umm mashkour, 3ayal tall iced vanilla latte, please," I said.
I avoided Java chip frappucino and mocha for obvious reasons.
"7a'6er, oo khalti mataby shay?" he asked me.
"La wallah umi 6al3a, mashkour," I said. My mom went to my grandparents' house, thankfully.
"Yallah 3ayal rubi3 sa3a ana 3ndich inshallah," he said.
"Inshallah, mashkour Z-Faisal," I said.
I couldn't believe I nearly blurted out Zaid.
"7ayach ishda3wa," he said before hanging up.
I sat in the living room and told the maid to expect Faisal in fifteen minutes with my drink.
Out
Faisal texted, and I sent the maid to pickup my order.
Thank you a lot!
"He give me this," my maid said as she handed me my drink.
I wondered if Faisal was truly the good guy he looked to be. He didn't even seem like the type to talk to girls, shakla he'd been waiting to talk to one. He bought me Starbucks after a week of knowing me. It was no Cartier or Chanel, but it was something.
I trusted my instincts to continue with Faisal, since he was heads over heels with me, maybe I'd be feeling something with him too if I gave him a chance.
/
"Layal tara warana the texts tara," I told Layal who was sprawled on my bed looking at old magazines and yearbooks.
"Giltlich ana bas wee oo wallah bakhal9a gable ilfayir. Intay just print bacher " she said nonchalantly as she casually flipped the page of the yearbook.
"Inzain latshoufeen the yearbook 9wari araf," I told her.
"Wallah kntay etshawgeen!" Layal said. "Wait mnu Dhari Al-Y?" she said.
"Layal mu 9ij," I said as I rolled my eyes.
"La2 9ij ya3ni ma3ndikum wayid awkward teenagers," she said.
"Oo shlon ilwa'63 b mixed schools ya3ni wayid dating oo chithi?" she asked. She was way too interested.
"Tara wallah ilwa'63 mu gossip girl," I said. She rolled her eyes.
"I know bas fee suwalif mn ta7at lay ta7at."
"Akeed," I said. I gulped. Did she know about me and Zaid?
"So Lulu oo Sarah kanaw your best friends?" she asked me as she looked at their pictures.
"Intay a7la if that makes you happy," she said.
"Ugh please latqarneeni feehum." I said.
"Thiqa much?" she said.
"La bas ma7bhum."
"Oo minu Yousif?" she asked.
"Youzay, oo already 3nda wa7da," I said.
"No shit," she said.
"Tara ma3ndikum wayid hot guys b duf3atkum. Oo mnu Zaid Al-M?" she asked.
Tanna7t.
"Um wa7id ma3ay," I said.
"Wow 9ij?" she replied sarcastically. Faj2a shhigat.
"Ubai wait Zaid Al-M? Zaid Zaid?" she asked me.
"Hatha isma, ee?" I said.
"Chathaba ubaaaaai," she said as she brought the book closer to her face. Shlsalfa?
"Layoul shfeech? Et3arfeena?" I said.
"Ubay la7'6a la7'6a latgouleenli hatha Zaid mal ilvideo!" she said.
I cocked my brow.
"Video shinu?" I said.
"Chathaba masima3tay bilvideo?" she said as she fished out her phone.
"Layal ay video?" I said, more serious.
"Digeega n6ray bas khal a6al3a," she said, scolding me. With every second I felt bile rise up my throat from worrying so much about the video that I didn't know about.
"Okay bas latraweena a7ad l2ana my cousin 6arishatliya her friend kanat m9awrita oo 7alifatni I don't forward it," she said as she pressed play.
It was the dinner party, apparently after I'd left. There wasn't anyone but Yousif, Zaid, Haya, a girl b my grade who probably showed up super late to the dinner party, and I guessed Fatma, the source, taking the video.
"Inzain yallah!" Fatma said as she drummed her hands on the table.
Zaid appeared in the video, and my heart sped up.
"Jahiz?" Yousif said. He nodded while chuckling and closed his eyes.
"Yallah," Zaid told Yousif while laughing. I put my hand to my lips, what was going on?
Yousif grabbed Zaid's head and forced his face onto the cake, pressing his face onto it. There was a roar of laughter all around as Zaid raised his head to reveal his face full of chocolate cake while he was laughing.
Haya laughed next to him and slid her finger across his cheek, wiping the icing off, and licked her finger clean while the four of them cracked up at her gesture.
"Hayoun wait wait no hands," Fatma said from behind the camera to the girl, and Yousif "Woo"ed while Haya and Zaid cracked up.
"Yallah I dare you," Zaid said.
Haya looked around to check for anyone else while laughing and pulled her hair back as she actually bent towards Zaid's face and scraped some of the cake off his face with her teeth. It was horrifying to watch, but I couldn't lift my eyes off the screen.
"Ya ju7a g3day bas," Zaid said as he pulled Haya towards him and she fell on his lap.
"A777," Yousif said while laughing and Haya tried to act "shy" as she tried to get up from Zaid's lap but it seemed like Zaid actually pulled her towards him.
"Tara lail7een 3alaih cake," Fatma said to Haya.
"Et'hagain?" Haya said with a shy laugh. She dipped her head and removed some icing off his right cheek with her lips and tongue, but then Zaid moved his face quickly so their lips would collide and once they did everyone roared in laughter while Haya pulled back embarrassingly and laughed, hitting him playfully on the shoulder.
I didn't realize how infuriated I was until my tears dropped onto the phone screen. What was going on with him?
"Niyah ubai sorry walalh mu qa9di aza3lich," she said. "Ma knt adri t3arfeena."
How did he do that? How did he lie to my face?
"6arsheeli the video," I told her as I wiped the tears from my face.
"Umm Niyah 7ala-"
"Layal please," I told her and she took her phone to forward the video to me.
"Tabeen inkaml ilproject bacher il9b7? Ayeech bl 8?" she asked. I nodded.
"Wallah sorry Layal bas kilish maly khlg shay," I told her.
She told me not to worry as she picked up her things and said goodbye before leaving.
I took a deep breath and forwarded Layal's video to Zaid.
I waited for him to see it, which took ten minutes until there were two blue checks.
Zaid is typing
"Fa kntay b ay madrisa?" Faisal asked me as he took a sip of water.
"**S, oo inta b ay madrisa?" I asked him.
"Ana 7ikouma," he said, while mentioning his high school name which I had no idea that existed.
"Oh," I just said as I sipped on my orange juice.
"La7'6a 3ayal et3arfeen Abdullah Al-K? Madri itha b duf3itich aw laa," he asked me. I knew Abdullah I just wasn't sure if I should answer with a yes or a no, maybe it was a test.
"Ee kan ma3ay eb katha class," I replied.
"Oo Jana Al-R?" he asked me. Why did he want to know?
"Jana? Ee imbala bas ma kanat ma3ay b wayid classes," I told him and he nodded.
"Abdullah rifeej ukhouy ili a9'3ar mini, oo Jana bnt khalti," he said. I replied with an "Oh", madri shagoul ba3ad.
He changed the subject to travel and where my favorite places were. I wanted to reply Paris but I shut up and said London instead even though I hated it, and he actually agreed.
After much talk, some silence, and talking again it was time for him to leave.
"Yallah 3ayal Omniyah asta2thin," he said with a smile. I smiled back and stood up to say goodbye to him and khalti Salwa, who was in seventh heaven right now.
"La7'6a bas itha mumkin raqmich?" he asked me before he left. I gulped and gave him my phone number, the last time I'd given a guy my number was four years ago...how time had flown.
I took his phone number and saved it as Faisal, since he was literally the only Faisal I knew.
We said our goodbyes and my mom kept asking me about him again, but I told her I had to know him more to finally approve.
"Khaltich Salwa galatli inna uhwa wayid mirta7lich oo dasha galba," she told me.
I didn't know whether to be happy or nervous. I didn't want to disappoint anyone, even if I was still okay with him, I had nothing against him and I enjoyed talking to him.
I went upstairs and changed from my dress into my comfy pants and shirt to continue studying. I had a course and a half left and I couldn't afford to screw it up even if my classes were not that hard, but even so I didn't want to take anything lightly.
I got a text message from Faisal telling me to call him whenever I was free, and I replied with "inshallah" in Arabic.
I finished studying maybe an hour later and called him.
"Hala wallah," he said, and I could tell he was happy. I felt guilty, was I supposed to feel this happy with someone so soon? I remembered Zaid and me in Paris, and it was kind of too soon, but maybe we were more compatible than me and Faisal, or were comparable, or maybe we were young. I didn't know. Or maybe I just needed to give Faisal and myself a break and actually put some effort in this relationship.
"Hala feek," I replied.
"Ha kntay tadriseen?" he asked me.
"Ee wallah tawni akhal9," I replied.
"Ee 3afya 3alaich. Al7een mar Starbucks ilsheraton, tabeen shay?" he asked me.
I smiled. "La mashkour matga9ir," I said.
"Afa, wala shay? Latrideeni Omniyah," he said, teasing.
I chuckled. "Umm mashkour, 3ayal tall iced vanilla latte, please," I said.
I avoided Java chip frappucino and mocha for obvious reasons.
"7a'6er, oo khalti mataby shay?" he asked me.
"La wallah umi 6al3a, mashkour," I said. My mom went to my grandparents' house, thankfully.
"Yallah 3ayal rubi3 sa3a ana 3ndich inshallah," he said.
"Inshallah, mashkour Z-Faisal," I said.
I couldn't believe I nearly blurted out Zaid.
"7ayach ishda3wa," he said before hanging up.
I sat in the living room and told the maid to expect Faisal in fifteen minutes with my drink.
Out
Faisal texted, and I sent the maid to pickup my order.
Thank you a lot!
"He give me this," my maid said as she handed me my drink.
I wondered if Faisal was truly the good guy he looked to be. He didn't even seem like the type to talk to girls, shakla he'd been waiting to talk to one. He bought me Starbucks after a week of knowing me. It was no Cartier or Chanel, but it was something.
I trusted my instincts to continue with Faisal, since he was heads over heels with me, maybe I'd be feeling something with him too if I gave him a chance.
/
"Layal tara warana the texts tara," I told Layal who was sprawled on my bed looking at old magazines and yearbooks.
"Giltlich ana bas wee oo wallah bakhal9a gable ilfayir. Intay just print bacher " she said nonchalantly as she casually flipped the page of the yearbook.
"Inzain latshoufeen the yearbook 9wari araf," I told her.
"Wallah kntay etshawgeen!" Layal said. "Wait mnu Dhari Al-Y?" she said.
"Layal mu 9ij," I said as I rolled my eyes.
"La2 9ij ya3ni ma3ndikum wayid awkward teenagers," she said.
"Oo shlon ilwa'63 b mixed schools ya3ni wayid dating oo chithi?" she asked. She was way too interested.
"Tara wallah ilwa'63 mu gossip girl," I said. She rolled her eyes.
"I know bas fee suwalif mn ta7at lay ta7at."
"Akeed," I said. I gulped. Did she know about me and Zaid?
"So Lulu oo Sarah kanaw your best friends?" she asked me as she looked at their pictures.
"Intay a7la if that makes you happy," she said.
"Ugh please latqarneeni feehum." I said.
"Thiqa much?" she said.
"La bas ma7bhum."
"Oo minu Yousif?" she asked.
"Youzay, oo already 3nda wa7da," I said.
"No shit," she said.
"Tara ma3ndikum wayid hot guys b duf3atkum. Oo mnu Zaid Al-M?" she asked.
Tanna7t.
"Um wa7id ma3ay," I said.
"Wow 9ij?" she replied sarcastically. Faj2a shhigat.
"Ubai wait Zaid Al-M? Zaid Zaid?" she asked me.
"Hatha isma, ee?" I said.
"Chathaba ubaaaaai," she said as she brought the book closer to her face. Shlsalfa?
"Layoul shfeech? Et3arfeena?" I said.
"Ubay la7'6a la7'6a latgouleenli hatha Zaid mal ilvideo!" she said.
I cocked my brow.
"Video shinu?" I said.
"Chathaba masima3tay bilvideo?" she said as she fished out her phone.
"Layal ay video?" I said, more serious.
"Digeega n6ray bas khal a6al3a," she said, scolding me. With every second I felt bile rise up my throat from worrying so much about the video that I didn't know about.
"Okay bas latraweena a7ad l2ana my cousin 6arishatliya her friend kanat m9awrita oo 7alifatni I don't forward it," she said as she pressed play.
It was the dinner party, apparently after I'd left. There wasn't anyone but Yousif, Zaid, Haya, a girl b my grade who probably showed up super late to the dinner party, and I guessed Fatma, the source, taking the video.
"Inzain yallah!" Fatma said as she drummed her hands on the table.
Zaid appeared in the video, and my heart sped up.
"Jahiz?" Yousif said. He nodded while chuckling and closed his eyes.
"Yallah," Zaid told Yousif while laughing. I put my hand to my lips, what was going on?
Yousif grabbed Zaid's head and forced his face onto the cake, pressing his face onto it. There was a roar of laughter all around as Zaid raised his head to reveal his face full of chocolate cake while he was laughing.
Haya laughed next to him and slid her finger across his cheek, wiping the icing off, and licked her finger clean while the four of them cracked up at her gesture.
"Hayoun wait wait no hands," Fatma said from behind the camera to the girl, and Yousif "Woo"ed while Haya and Zaid cracked up.
"Yallah I dare you," Zaid said.
Haya looked around to check for anyone else while laughing and pulled her hair back as she actually bent towards Zaid's face and scraped some of the cake off his face with her teeth. It was horrifying to watch, but I couldn't lift my eyes off the screen.
"Ya ju7a g3day bas," Zaid said as he pulled Haya towards him and she fell on his lap.
"A777," Yousif said while laughing and Haya tried to act "shy" as she tried to get up from Zaid's lap but it seemed like Zaid actually pulled her towards him.
"Tara lail7een 3alaih cake," Fatma said to Haya.
"Et'hagain?" Haya said with a shy laugh. She dipped her head and removed some icing off his right cheek with her lips and tongue, but then Zaid moved his face quickly so their lips would collide and once they did everyone roared in laughter while Haya pulled back embarrassingly and laughed, hitting him playfully on the shoulder.
I didn't realize how infuriated I was until my tears dropped onto the phone screen. What was going on with him?
"Niyah ubai sorry walalh mu qa9di aza3lich," she said. "Ma knt adri t3arfeena."
How did he do that? How did he lie to my face?
"6arsheeli the video," I told her as I wiped the tears from my face.
"Umm Niyah 7ala-"
"Layal please," I told her and she took her phone to forward the video to me.
"Tabeen inkaml ilproject bacher il9b7? Ayeech bl 8?" she asked. I nodded.
"Wallah sorry Layal bas kilish maly khlg shay," I told her.
She told me not to worry as she picked up her things and said goodbye before leaving.
I took a deep breath and forwarded Layal's video to Zaid.
I waited for him to see it, which took ten minutes until there were two blue checks.
Zaid is typing
***
Two-post Tuesday:) Next post at 6:30 PM! x
twitter: @cashmerepoison
No comments:
Post a Comment